11 July 2014

     As part of my preparation, I've been experimenting with some shoes.  Actually, they are hiking boots.  Last time I did the Camino I spent a large sum of money on the best hiking boots I could find.  I purchased a pair of Asolos and spent a lot of money.  They were great, I admit, but the toe room for someone with my foot was never quite right.  That, along with the fact that I broke bones in both feet, made my experience less than satisfactory for the amount I spent. 
      I have been experimenting with other shoes this time and thought I'd found the right mix with the LL Bean hiking boots that I bought.  That was until my son, the elder, advised me to look at the Keen hikers.  Having purchased, at his advice, some Keen sandals and deciding to take them because of their comfort, I took a look.  I ended up buying (with his guidance) the Verdi Mid WPs and you just can't imagine how good my feet feel.  Right out of the box I became aware that they were designed with my foot in mind.
      It  seems that I have a "fat" foot!  Well, the ball of my foot is pronounced and my toes tend to be as wide as the ball of my foot.  That means a hiker like the Keen is designed to accommodate my foot. I have worn them constantly for 2 days now and they feel almost like sandals on my feet.  I'm anxious, now, for my back to heal enough so that I can carry my pack for some distance and see how they do.  They seem to be without "hot spots" but I'll know for sure when I get more miles on them.  Suffice it to say, for now, that I'm a much happier camper... no, hiker!

No comments:

Post a Comment